Acne is a very problematic situation for many people. This is generally a condition which can break out at any age be it 15 or 35. It makes you look and feel bad. There are many kinds of acne treatments which are available to the public but not all of them will work for everyone.
For making a treatment work for your acne breakout and prevent the breakout as well it is important that you need to understand your type of acne that is if it is a blackhead or a white head which fall under the category of comedones, the others include pimples which is a worsened stage of comedones.
Papules, nodules, and pustules are the other terms which you might come across when you talk about acne.
Causes of Acne
- Propionibacterium acnes is the bacteria which causes the pimples and the acne. This bacterium generally lives on the skin and causes the infection.
- Pimples grow when the hair follicles on the surface of the skin get blocked and the oil builds up under the skin. These pores plugged with oil and dirt leads to the break out of a pimple and hence lead to all the issues that follow.
- Certain hormonal factors in the time of adolescence are also a contributing factor to acne and similar skin conditions.
- Menstruation also leads to acne at times
- Emotional stress is a factor contributing to the breakout of acne.
- Furthermore greasy cosmetics also lead to acne and skin conditions which are really troublesome.
There are various home remedies for the treatment of acne however it is advisable that you understand the severity of your condition before you resort to any kind of treatment and in case of serious conditions it is best to consult a dermatologist.
Some of the active ingredients which work best on acne include:
- Salicylic acid: it aids in reducing swelling and inflammation and helps in preventing the breakout of blackheads and whiteheads.
- Resorcinol: it helps to break down the blackheads and whiteheads and give a clear skin.
- Benzoyl peroxide: It works by slowing down the production of sebum and also by accelerating the skin growth. It also aids in the killing of bacteria.
- Sulfur: It is the ingredient is most acne treatment products; the specific action of this, however, is yet to be gauged.
- Retin A: Retin A helps by unblocking the clogged pores
- Azelaic acid: this helps by tightening the skin cells, hence it reduces the production of sebum, in turn, reducing the clogging of the pores and bacterial growth and causing acne.
Treatments for Acne
Some of the popular treatment for acne includes:
- Oral anti-biotic – this helps by preventing the growth of the P.acne bacterium which in most cases is the root cause of acne.
- Topical anti-biotic – this also works in a similar fashion as oral antibiotics by preventing the growth of bacteria.
- Oral contraceptives – helps by reducing the production of hormones from the overactive glands.
- Corticosteroid injection.
The expert states that the skin is a clear reflection of the attention we pay to our health. Neglecting the body can lead to a complexion full of inaccuracies and imperfections.
In this regard, “it is essential to take care of yourself internally to achieve and maintain good health, but the external aspect is also important.”